Music 171 homework 1
This assignment is to make a Pd patch to play a major triad in sinusoids,
with a smooth on-off control. Suitable frequencies of three sinusoids to make
up a major triad are 440, 550, and 660. (This is in what is called
just-intonation tuning; there are other possible choices).
Your successful patch should sound like
this. It should not sound like
To make the patch (each of the following steps is worth 2 points for a total
- make three oscillators with frequencies 440, 550, and 660.
- Using "+~" objects, make the sum of the three. This will have a peak
amplitude of 3 (too much for making reasonable output).
- set up a multiplier and line~ object to control the amplitude of the sum.
- make message boxes capable of ramping the amplitude control on and off.
"On" should correspond to an amplitude of about 0.1 to avoid speaker or ear
damage. There should be time values so that turning on and off doesn't make
clicks. Label the buttons "on" and "off".
- Send the result to a dac~ object (both inlets if you want) to hear it.
back to music 171 main page