Music 171 homework 1
This assignment is to make a Pd patch in which an oscillator makes a sinusoidal
tone that, using message boxes as push-buttons, you can turn on and off without
clicking, and whose frequency can slide between two values.
Your successful patch should sound like
To make the patch (each of the following steps is worth 2 points for a total
- make an oscillator with a line~ object to control its amplitude.
- set up an additional line~ object to control the oscillator's frequency.
- make message boxes capable of ramping the amplitude control on and off.
"On" should correspond to an amplitude of about 0.1 to avoid speaker or ear
- make two more message boxes to cause the frequency to slide to
each of 660 and 440.
- Make a fifth message box that sends a "bang" message to both turn the
sound on and set an initial frequency (OK to use one of the frequency-setting boxes
above, but better style to make yet another one that jumps in zero time to 440.)
Label the message boxes with comments so we can figure out which one is
intended to start everything (setting frequency and amplitude), and which are
to generate the two slides in frequency, and turn the sound off.
back to music 171 main page