Music 270C: Compositional Algorithms
Spring quarter 2011. University of California, San Diego
Mondays, 2-4:50, CPMC 265.
, CPMC 251,
The course is organized along ten general topics as follows:
There will be biweekly programming assignments over the ten
weeks of the course.
- transformations on series, considered as pitches and rhythms
- sets, intervals, and statistics
- software and `Computer Aided Composition'
- stochastic processes 1: Discrete-time processes
- stochastic processes 2: Multivariate and Continuous-time processes
- combinatorial optimization and constraint problems
- generative algorithms (fractals, etc.; linguistic parsers and generators
- machine learning approaches
- Viterbi algorithm, score following and beat tracking
- quantization and interpolation
Here is ASSIGNMENT 1,
due Monday, April 11.
Here is ASSIGNMENT 2,
due Monday, April 25.
Here is ASSIGNMENT 3,
due Monday, May 23.
Assignment 4 is to make a riff on the Who's acid-driven organ solo
Here are archives of patches, markov code updates, and the
kmeans demo as of 5/24.
FINAL MEETING: we're planning to meet to give all of you a chance
to show off your efforts, 10AM Thursday, June 9, usual place.