Music 270C: Compositional Algorithms
Spring quarter 2017. University of California, San Diego
Thursdays, 5-8, CPMC 231.
, CPMC 251,
There are nine metings this quarter (no meeting on week 9, June 1) plus
a make-up meeting during finals week to be scheduled. The plan so far is:
There will be three assignments over the quarter.
Here is ASSIGNMENT 1,
due Thursday, April 13.
- Apr 6. representations of pitch and frequency
- Apr 13. tone rows, sets, and all that
- Apr 20. representations of time
- Apr 27-May 4. stochastic processes
- May 11. Generative algorithms (L systems, fractals and chaos,
Jurish, Bryan. "Music as a formal language." Photographs: Uwe Vollmann and
Irmgard Jäger Photo selection: Reni Hofmüller Typesetting: michon, Hofheim
Printing: Fuldaer Verlagsanstalt (2004): 81.
Cope, David. "Computer modeling of musical intelligence in EMI." Computer
Music Journal 16.2 (1992): 69-83.
Meneghini, Matteo. "An analysis of the compositional techniques in John
Chowning's Stria." Computer Music Journal 31.3 (2007): 26-37.
Baudouin, Olivier. "A reconstruction of Stria." Computer Music Journal 31.3
- May 18. combinatorial optimization and constraint problems
Truchet, Charlotte, Gérard Assayag, and Philippe Codognet. "Visual and
Adaptive Constraint Programming in Music." ICMC. 2001.
- May 25. machine learning algorithms
Papers that should have been cited:
Lee, M., Freed, A., Wessel, D., "Real-Time Neural Network Processing of Gestural and
Acoustic Signals," Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference,
Lee, M., Freed, A., Wessel, D., "Neural networks for simultaneous classification
and parameter estimation in musical instrument control", Proc. SPIE 1706,
Adaptive and Learning Systems, 1992.
- June 8. machine improvisation and recombinant algorithms
- June 12 (Monday of Finals week) 3PM: musical notation systems; and
anything else we didn't get to.
ASSIGNMENT 2 has no particular due date but
we can start looking at them May 4.
ASSIGNMENT 3 has no particular due date
Here are patches (also available as a
zip file), other supporting files, and screen movies.