Music 270C: Compositional Algorithms
Spring quarter 2017. University of California, San Diego
Thursdays, 5-8, CPMC 231.
, CPMC 251,
There are nine metings this quarter (no meeting on week 9, June 1) plus
a make-up meeting during finals week to be scheduled. The plan so far is:
There will be four assignments over the quarter.
Here is ASSIGNMENT 1,
due Thursday, April 13.
- Apr 6. representations of pitch and frequency
- Apr 13. tone rows, sets, and all that
- Apr 20. representations of time
- Apr 27. stochastic processes
- May 4. Generative algorithms (L systems, fractals and chaos, linguistic parsers)
- May 11. combinatorial optimization and constraint problems
- May 18. machine learning algorithms
- May 25. recombinant algorithms
- June 8. musical notation systems
- Finals week: everything we didn't get to.
ASSIGNMENT 2 has no particular due date but
we can start looking at them May 4.
Here are patches (also available as a
zip file), other supporting files, and screen movies.