Music 270C: Compositional Algorithms
Spring quarter 2019. University of California, San Diego
Fridays, 2-5, CPMC 367.
, CPMC 251,
There will be three assignments over the quarter. Here are ASSIGNMENT 1 due week 2 or 3, ASSIGNMENT 2, due May 10 or 17, and ASSIGNMENT 3, due anytime this quarter.
we'll look at these in class as they come in.
- Apr 5. representations of pitch and frequency
- Apr 12. set operations and interpolations
- Apr 19. stochastic processes
- Apr 26. guest speaker, Gerard Assayag
- May 3. tone rows, sets, and all that
- May 10. Generative algorithms (L systems, fractals and chaos,
linguistic parser/generators). Here is a
paper of interest; see also
Cope, David. "Computer modeling of musical intelligence in EMI." Computer Music Journal 16.2 (1992): 69-83.
- May 17. combinatorial optimization and constraint problems
- May 24. representations of time
- May 31. machine learning algorithms
- June 7. composing at the level of signals
Here are patches (may 31) and screen movies.